Tuesday 27 May 2014

RR10 Wilverley Plain 2014

Thanks to Paul Hammond
My first RR10 of 2014 - and it was fabulous.  I don't clock watch when doing cross country - I just run as hard as I feel like doing & enjoy the scenery, being outdoors and the challenge of getting over the changing terrain.  We had a stunning sunset and many many trees to appreciate!  Wilverley requires one of the longest drives to an RR10 & is in the New Forest, between Brockenhurst and Burley. 
Thanks to Paul Hammond
 


Heather & I decided when we arrived that we'd use the loo - sheer luxury to have one.  But it was just one and queuing for it took at least 15mins - at least it served as a meeting point where we met Verity, Sue and Bridget.  The queue also provided the opportunity to apply insect repellent - a must for any summer Forest run - although Lynne later had some accidentally sprayed in her mouth - not an experience to repeat.


Thanks to Paul Hammond
There were fewer of us than I expected - certainly fewer Southampton regulars - but I'm sure that was partially due to this being the furthest RR10 from home.

The safety briefing lacked the drama of the CC6 from Wilverley Plain - no mentions of quick sand!

Setting off across a heathland plain, I caught up with Bridget & could see Lynne ahead of me - and this was pretty much the story of my race.  Bridget & I ran bits together but I'm a little quicker downhill.  I could see Lynne but couldn't catch her.  The route headed downhill into forest on gravel tracks.  More hills & we switched to mud paths with roots to dodge - but there weren't too many properly boggy bits.  One tree to clamber over - I wasn't brave enough to hurdle despite encouragement from the marshals.

Several marshals told me I was looking good - so that must have been true.  I'm glad that I'd sprayed on insect repellent - but still sported several bites on my legs afterwards.

It wasn't quite the 8K described - I made it 7.4.  The finish was at the edge of the woods shortly after the last climb - but with enough levelness to enable strong finishes.

At the end, we met up with Tanya who'd not arrived in time to run - so good of her to stay & support.  Lynne & I went back to cheer the rest of the Sisters in.  Very impressed with Sue L & Heather's finish - sprinting beautifully!  7 of our runners managed their highest finishing position for the season so far - including our rocket Siri.

We were concerned that the water seemed to have disappeared by the time we got to the start point - only to see big bottles being brought over to replenish the supplies.  So much better than Salisbury/Eastleigh/Sheffield.

Lovely sunset to admire on the way home.  Cross country rocks.

Results (with positions, not times):
  • Siri Froystadt 16 - amazingly speedy & her highest position this season.
  • Jo Green 56
  • Lisa Graham 68
  • Verity Fisher 73
  • Maria Warwick 88
  • Nikki Skeats 111 - highest position this season
  • Lynne Newson 117 - highest position this season
  • Gin Tidridge 124
  • Bridget Wells 126
  • Sue Leith 134 - highest position this season
  • Heather Lovelock 135
  • Sally Lucas 136 - highest position this season
  • Jessica Martyn 139
  • Kelly Singh 140 - highest position this season
  • Pat Rogers 141- highest position this season

We managed 5 teams - so a good evening for Solent Running Sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment