Wednesday 29 October 2014

Great North Run

Photo: Debbi Barnett
The Great North was the run I wanted to do before I started running.  My parents live in Corbridge - close to Newcastle, it's the UK's biggest race (56,000 runners) and my little sister Debbi has been on about it for years.  This year, I got a place in the ballot for the first time - as did Louise.  Debbi bought a charity place from Great Ormond Street.  Very glad I booked up the flights as soon as I could for Lou & I - and very grateful to Mum & Dad for agreeing to put us up.

Because it wouldn't be my first half and I wanted to raise money for the children's physio charity Footsteps Foundation who have done amazing work with my niece Annie, I decided to make it my first fancy dress race.  The key equipment that Footsteps use is a frame/harness system called a spider - so my outfit was a spider.  Black tights with bubble wrap inside for the legs, a web window decoration as a cape and a black hat with 6 eyes....


The day before the run was fab.  My parents took Louise & I to Hadrians Wall - Housesteads & Steel Rigg.  It's the bit of the wall that Robin Hood got to in less than a day after landing at Dover apparently!  Introduced Louise to Debbi & finalised web cape with help from everyone including a bemused neighbour.

We knew that logistics would be tricky so we got the bus into Newcastle very early.  Debbi found the Great North Beer Tent crew she'd hooked with on Facebook for a photo op.  Queued for the loo, walked to the baggage buses, queued for the loo, found the start.  Lou & I decided to start in Debbi's wave - she'd done loads of research on which side to be on which was helpful.

Red Arrow fly past, then we set off.  Water handed to us almost immediately. I was a bit surprised how many people were walking within the first mile - nothing wrong with that at all but not something I'd seen to that extent before.  Also unusual was running on traffic free dual carriageways - a first!  Over the Tyne Bridge - the bit I'd really looked forward to.  The level of support was amazing - supporters lining pretty much all 13.1 miles of the route.
Great North Beer Tent


Debs was finding her first ever half tough.  She'd got to 8 miles in training, but the heat was getting to her big time around mile 3.  I decided to stick with her - and impressively, given that they'd only met the day before, Louise decided to do so too. 
Photo: Louise Hillier-Wheal


Loved the karakoke man - never have I sung so much on a run!  We overtook Tony the Fridge and saw so many fabulous outfits.  Loads of water & lucozade stations - and locals with hosepipes from their gardens providing showers!  I didn't find it hot, but many others did.

The route wasn't too hilly - a couple of long slogs though.  Most picturesque bit was coming over the last hill to see the light house at South Shields.  Debs was still running - so proud of the way she dug into the run whilst finding it really tough.  Mark Knopfler's "Local Hero" seemed to be playing for most of the last bit, but we went over the finish line to Queen's "Don't Stop Me Now".

Met up with Mum & Dad amongst hundreds of people at the end.  Debbi shot off to try & catch her pre booked train - but ended up queueing forever for buses (luckily train operator was kind).  Mum & Dad took me & Louise back to Corbridge - a tortuous journey that took longer than it took Phil to drive from Exeter to Eastleigh that afternoon!  The event was exceptionally well organised - but the sheer numbers meant lots of queuing and waiting.

Nice easy flight home.  It was an amazing event, but I found the support from Mum & Dad, Louise deciding to support Debs, and Debbi's tenacity in running 13.1 miles for the first time the most inspirational components.   And there's the £390 pre gift aid donated by friends, colleagues and family for Footsteps - thank you so much for your generosity.

Great South to follow - second outing for the spider outfit!

No comments:

Post a Comment