Wednesday 29 October 2014

Great South Run

I'd told Louise that as we were doing the Great North, we should do the Great South too this year.  And I had my spider costume to wear as I'd promised my generous sponsors that I'd wear it for both runs, raising money for the Footsteps Foundation who have helped my niece Annie enormously with physio (their key piece of equipment is known as a spider).

We've done the Great South a few times and now I've done more big scale runs, I think I've learned to appreciate it more.  Yes, it's pricey, especially as transferring numbers is a no-go.  Yes, logistics need planning and patience.  Yes, it's tricky to find your running buddies and supporters.  But it's also one of the best organised big runs - and one of the biggest running events in the deep south.  And 10 miles is a lovely distance.

Debbie and Sam
Lou, Clare W & I got there via Gosport & the ferry (much complaining from Lou's kids about how it is compulsory to sit outside on the ferry).  Arrived early enough to not have to queue for a loo - weird.  The baggage drop off sounded remarkably insecure so Clare ended up running with more of her stuff than she'd expected.  I put my spider outfit on again - it had survived the GNR remarkably well.

We were in the white wave - middle speed for mortal runners.  Spotted Lyndsay & her husband.

Jo Pavey was there to start us off - she won the event in 2012 - but sadly, no opera singer for the first time the 3 of us could remember.  Trumpets though.  Clare set off on a mission for a PB, Lou & I were going slower.  I did toy with the idea of sticking with the 1:40 pacemaker, but we were a little ahead.  My favourite bit is in mile 2 where the route goes through the Historic Dockyard, past Warrior and Victory. Lots of music - drumming and a pipe band.

We spotted Claire D and Maria - both looking very good round about mile 4 just before the first water station - unlike previous years, there were 2 water & 1 lucozade points (and very thankful it wasn't gatorade).

We ran past a Chinese restaurant where apparently Peter Sellers was born.  Great to see Lyndsay again - quality support - and Louise was chuffed when she heard one of her students cheering her.


Sam, Debbie and Lucy
I started to struggle before the halfway point.  I'd had a cold the week before and although I was OK at the gym on Friday, my chest started feeling tight and my heartrate was too high.  Louise tried to convince me that we both needed to slow down before realising that I wouldn't do so enough whilst worrying about messing up her race - so we split up and I promised Lou that I'd be sensible.  Couldn't get my heartrate to go below 180 and it felt tough!  The 1:40 pacemaker had overtaken me long ago.  Mile 7-8 through a housing estate with no music was hard.  Traditionally, it's miles 8-10 that are toughest - as you turn onto the seafront, there is always a headwind and mentally, you feel that the finish must be closer than 2 miles away...  Jelly babies were being given out (sensibly) at that point.

I finished in 1:45:35.  Ended up walking through the finishers' funnel behind a group of marine commandos, complete with drummers and green berets, which was rather cool.  Met up with Lou and Clare - so pleased that both of them had good times and that Clare had a PB.  Bit sad that I didn't find any other Sisters - but it was great catching up with everyone subsequently.  19 of us took part - most impressive!

Long walk to the ferry made shorter with a fab conversation about debating (yes, really!) with Lou's eldest.


Having said it would be my last GSR, I'm weakening already.....

Solent Running Sisters Nailed the Great South:
Bernadette: 1:55:27
Claire Deacon 1:28:58
Clare World 1:33:21
Claudia Lucas 1:55:07
Debbie Harvey 1:52:12
Dee Atyeo 1:42:03
Eileen 1:52:02
Emma Hickman 1:41:54
Gin Tidridge 1:45:33
Joanne Thomas 1:42:50
Louise Hillier-Wheal 1:39:54
Lucy 1:52:02
Maria Warwick 1:26:17
Nic Jones 1:33:46
Pauline 1:33:57
Rachel Sturdy 1:30:41
Sam Radford 1:52:04
Sophie Mackenzie 1:37:11
Tanya Marie Carter 1:49:19


No comments:

Post a Comment